Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chicken Fajitas

I decided yesterday that I wanted something spicy. Now considering that when I was growing up the most commonly used spices in my house were pepper and salt, I don’t do your typical Mexican or Indian spicy. Fajitas sounded good to me. Not only are they easy, but you can make them as spicy or as not spicy as you want.

First off, the chicken. I bought two small chicken breasts, and sliced them up. I then let them marinade in the juice of one lime and about a tablespoon of chili powder. Only for about 30 minutes, but if I had had more time (and patience) I would have let them go for longer.

Fajitas-1 

Next I had to slice/chop up all the veggies. My quick knife skills aren’t really the greatest (I haven’t sliced a finger yet, so that’s a good sign right?), but what I lack in speed, I think I make up for with precision. But then again, even that’s not the greatest. I had a red pepper, a green pepper, two garlic cloves, a jalapeno pepper, and a red onion. Funny thing is, One year ago the only thing on this cutting board I would have eaten was the garlic.

Fajitas-7 

Once everything was all chopped up (remember the speed thing, I knew I had to chop everything up before I even started cooking), I tossed the chicken in a hot pan with a bit of oil. Cook until… cooked. 

Fajitas-8

Once done, transfer the chicken to a plate, and add the red onions, red and green peppers into the pan. I added a touch of butter just to help things caramelize a bit. I don’t like my veggies to be crispy, I like them cooked to a beautiful tenderness.

Fajitas-11

Add the garlic, the jalapeno pepper, and the chicken. Heat through.

Fajitas-13

Enjoy on pitas with cheese. If I had sour cream I probably would have added that in the mix too, but I didn’t have any.

Fajitas-14

The best part of this meal was the price. Here’s the breakdown: 

Chicken 3.56
Tortillas 2.50
Green Pepper 0.86
Red Pepper 1.35
Jalapeno 0.18
Red Onion 1.27
Total $9.27

So not bad. I omitted the price of the garlic (really, what’s 1/10th of a $0.45 clove of garlic?), as well as the price of the cheese (I have no idea how much of the block I used, but it was $3.99 and I used very little). It made me the one meal right away, as well as three containers of fixings for future meals. Just over $2 a serving? I think I did quite well.

-Cheers folks!

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Hee Hee. I too calculate the cots of meals/servings. I wonder what it would be like to be rick enough that it doesn't matter.