Monday, August 2, 2010

Chili and Rice

Around 7:30 tonight I began to wonder how long ago it was that I had bought a can of red kidney beans and put them in the back of my cupboard. I figured it was time to do something with it. A quick trip to the grocers and I was about the embark on an effort of making chili, but not just any chili, chili and rice.

Chili-1

Not pictured is garlic, oil, and rice. Chop up some garlic, the onion, and the peppers. Add to a hot thick bottomed pot with a bit of oil (and scare the bejeppers out of your housemate who thinks something is on fire when the steam is kind of crazy… my fault).

Chili-2 

Saute until tender. Add the beef and the can of tomatoes. Cook through. Add 2 cups of rice. Stir really well to coat all the rice. Chop up as many (or a few) mushrooms as you want, add to the pot. Also add a the can of beans.

Chili-3

Add 2 or so cups of water, if it still seems sort of thick, add more (add more than you think you’ll need, the rice soaks it all up, you’ll probably end up having to add more during the next little while).

Chili-4

Cover and lower the heat. Stirring, until the rice is cooked and most of the water has been soaked up.

Chili-6

Dish into bowls, top with cheese, enjoy with beer. So good. My foray today gave me 9 portions, and those are fairly good sized portions too.

What have you been cooking lately?

-Cheers! gkd

2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

I am just back from vacation and catching up on blog reading. Your chili looks good. We are chili lovers but have never cooked it with rice. And I love your shoes.

theaudiochick said...

Thanks! Adding the rice was an amazing way to stretch out the chili without detracting from it. I thoroughly recommend it.