Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vegan Oat Bean Burgers

I made these just after the banana muffins, but haven’t posted yet. Oops.

SONY DSC

I based them off of Angela’s recipe from Oh She Glows, but changed them up as to what I had in our fridge. No carrots? Leave them out. No bread? Means no breadcrumbs. No parsley, no almonds, no sunflower seeds. So basically these are black beans, carmelized onions, green peppers, oats, soy sauce, cumin, chili powder, soy sauce, garlic and flax eggs.

They came together really nicely, but I think next time I’ll use a little less flax eggs as it seemed I had to add way too much flour and oats (even to make up for the lack of bread crumbs). It may also have been due to the fact that it was raining when I made them. (Me + humidity in the kitchen can be quite the crap shoot.) I got 12 patties out of the mix, and found out that the tiny storage containers I got from Ikea when I first moved to Ottawa fit a single patty really well. Makes it so easy to grab one out of the freezer, toss it in the microwave or onto a hot pan, and voila! burger. The Vegan Mister wholeheartedly approved, and wants more. We topped them with loads of pickles, huge slices of tomato, lettuce, relish, ketchup, mustard, and I added a bit of cheddar (I’m vegetarian, not vegan, but enjoy all these awesome vegan recipes). Also we couldn’t find any hamburger buns that were completely free of milk or eggs (Mister avoids anything that says “May contain…”) so we just had them on toast.

SONY DSC

Tonight I’ll be trying Vegan Dad’s Sausages. My beans are simmering on the stove, and I’m soon to head to the local Blahblahs to see if I can find Vital Wheat Gluten and Nutritional Yeast. It might mean a trip up to the health food store if it’s not in the big chain. We shall see.

Also keep your eyes peeled for Mister’s Birthday cupcake trial run. I had hoped to keep a dozen or so for the actual party, but we ate them all. Darn.

-Cheers folks!

No comments: