Friday, October 30, 2009

302. My Return to the Kitchen

SONY DSC I missed two days, so to make up for it, here are some pictures of my kitchen.SONY DSC

Dirty dishes, half from supper, half from desert.

SONY DSC

My kitchen. Small, but functional.

Supper today was SO GOOD. Besides going for groceries in the rain, setting off the smoke alarm, nearly putting a rotten egg in with the meat, not having a big enough frying pan for the meatballs, nearly spilling all the sauce while putting the dish in the oven, accidentally dumping the pot with the potatoes in it on the floor, and spilling the sauce while taking it dish out of the oven.... it was a good supper and totally worth the three hours. Yea, I went for groceries at 5, and I put my plate with the dirty dishes at 8. Totally worth it though. Sweet and Sour meatballs (all from scratch). That includes making the meatballs, I fry mine, some people bake them, but I find that dries them out. Also, making the sauce. So easy. Take a can of condensed tomato soup, a bit of mustard, double that in ketchup, add a heap of brown sugar (I don’t know, half a cup or so), and a touch of vinegar. Mix, and done. Told you it was easy.

I took an hour or so, knitting and watching TV, then realized I wanted something sweet. I had nothing on hand, so it meant going out again. Thankfully the rain had stopped. I decided on making peanut butter cookies. But of course, me being me, I didn’t want just plain old peanut butter cookies, I wanted the ultimate peanut butter cookie. With chocolate. I used this recipe, but opted out of peanut butter cups, and was going to use Hershey Kisses instead, but I couldn’t find any of them at the store. I guess that’s what happens when you’re at the 24-hour grocery store (which I don’t care for too much anyways because their selection is sparse to begin with) at 10pm on a Friday. They didn’t have any baking soda either. I fixed that by adding more baking powder and leaving out the salt. I used chocolate chips in the middle of the cookies, which I put into muffin tins instead of on a cookie sheet. Partly because that’s what they did in the recipe, and partly because I didn’t want to dig through the kitchen to try and find a cookie sheet. Oh, another thing I was missing: measuring cups and spoons. Oops. I used a small Tupperware dish that I’m pretty sure is half a cup, in any case, I used it as a measure and worked things around that, except the flour, which I just poured in and mixed till I got a consistency I liked. I made 21 balls, pressed them into the muffin tins (which I greased with butter then coated with sugar), made a little divot in the middle of each, and added a few chocolate chips. Pop them in the oven, then 12 minutes later, voila! Chocolate peanut butter cookies. So moist, and very tasty.

Now to clean up. I can do that tomorrow. I already did one load of dishes today, I’m not doing another.

-Cheers folks!

No comments: