Wednesday, August 12, 2009

224. My Design

SONY DSC

I’m working on a cable/aran design for a cardigan. It’s in the low 30s without humidity. Add in humidity and it’s in the high 30s. It’s humid. It’s hot. And I want to work on a cable sweater. Am I insane? Why, yes, yes I am. I started charting out my idea at work, with kids constantly asking me what I was doing, and one who even said “I just don’t understand why you knit. You can buy all that stuff at the store.” I then reminded him that he was at a camp where he was making his own video games, and he could go out and buy games at a store. He looked at me with a blank stare, shook his head and said “I still don’t get it.” I just laughed and went back to charting. It’s not done yet, but I have already cast on a swatch. I need to figure out how many stitches I’m looking at to go around my bust, and I also want to decide if I need to add waist shaping, or if straight up will work. I want this one to be a little closer fitting than my Old Man Sweater is, but I still want it to be a nice comfy jeans and t-shirt kind of sweater. It will be a labour of love. It will take quite some time. But I will be steeking it. After my experience with the Old Man Sweater (which still isn’t done because I’m still waiting to get the buttons in the mail) I’m not afraid to steek. I don’t know if I’ll do raglan arm shaping, saddle shoulders or what, but I’ve got plenty of time to decide.

-Cheers folks!

No comments: