Monday, August 24, 2009

236. My New Life

SONY DSC

:D What’s that? That' is the smile I’ve had from ear to ear since about 7:00 tonight. That’s when I went to the theatre for the first time. I’m home folks, I’m home. It’s brilliant. The theatre has a huge underside with loads of great stuff, a HUGE costume room fill from guts to gill, an awesome green room, and a great big makeup/change room which is three sections, male, female, and overflow. The backstage area is huge too. The crew are all wonderful, the cast is great (all two of them). Everything is brilliant. I’m currently just another sound hand for this production (Same Time Next Year), but I’m going to be doing either Tech Direction or Sound Designing for the Christmas Play (Plaid Tidings), and I’m the Sound Designer for a play in March/April called Enchanted April. I’m really excited. Can you tell? I just need to finalize a place to live, and get a paying job (I will wait tables or mop floors, I do not care) then I will be set!

I’d forgotten what it felt like to be involved with a theatre. Except this time there was an initiation drink. I was told to come back stage for a “tech meeting”, then the stage manager pulled out a bottle of 18 year old Scotch. I’m not a Scotch person, so he added a touch of water, and we (Stage Manager, Director, one of the actors, and the Sound Designer), all shot the shit for almost an hour with a glass in our hands. It was amazing. I love the community that ensues when you work a theatre production.

-cheers folks!

1 comment:

La said...

Gwen, I'm so happy for you! It's fantastic that you get to be the "Audio Chick" of Ottawa :) Sounds like a great place to work. I approve of the scotch and water!